We will most likely be at home giving out candy to our little goblins and ghosts next weekend. I thought you might enjoy a spicy-salty-crunchy snack while waiting for the doorbell. Spicy Chex Mix is a classic snack mix with a spicy kick. This mix is super simple to make, and it’s much cheaper than buying pre-packaged. Making a batch of these pretzels and chips every week is possible instead of purchasing them pre-packaged.
SMALLER BATCH SIZE
Because we have a smaller family, I decided to make a smaller batch than most Chex mix recipes on the internet. I didn’t want my kids to drown in the stuff. This Chex mix is so simple to make, and I prefer to make smaller batches and have fresh Chex mix every time rather than trying to eat too much of it. Double the recipe if you are making this for guests.
HOW TO STORE CHEX MIX
You don’t have to eat the whole batch of Chex mix every night, so make sure you store it in an airtight container such as a zip-top bag. It should keep fresh for several weeks as long as it is sealed properly. The Chex mix can be frozen for up to 3 months. However, it must remain sealed tightly.
HOW TO USE HOT SAUCE
You can use any vinegar-based hot sauce to make this recipe. I have used Tabasco hot sauce with cayenne and a thicker hot sauce like Sriracha. They are all great, though the flavours may be a little different.
AUTOTHER ADD-INS & SUBSTITUTIONS
You can be creative with snack mixes and Chex mixes like this. You can make any shape of pretzels or substitute a different nut for a flavoured one. Bagel chips are a common addition to the mix (I couldn’t find them at the store), or you can substitute them with little breadsticks and rice crackers. Please make sure the flavour of whatever you add is neutral so that it can absorb all that buttery, spicy goodness.
SPICY CHEX MIX
Spicy Chex Mix is a homemade snack mix that’s easy to make with the perfect combination of spicy, crunchy, and salty flavours.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings: Each cup contains 1 cup
- 1.5 cups rice Chex ($0.23)
- 1.5 cups corn Chex ($0.23)
- 1.5 cups of wheat Chex ($1.05)
- 1 cup cheese crackers ($0.39)
- 1 cup pretzels ($0.24)
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts ($0.24)
- 6 Tbsp Butter ($0.66)
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce ($0.04)
- 1.5 Tbsp hot sauce ($0.14)
- 1/4 tsp seasoning Salt* ($0.08)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder ($0.05).
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika ($0.05)
- Pre-heat the oven to 250oF Mix the rice Chex and corn Chex together. Mix the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, melt the butter. Next, stir in the Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Season with salt, garlic powder, seasoning salt, and smoked paprika.
- Mix the dry ingredients with about 1/3 of the seasoned butter. Stir well. Continue this process until all the butter is used. Continue stirring the Chex mixture until it is well coated.
- Spread the seasoned mixture on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the baking sheet in the oven for 1 hour, stirring once every 15 minutes.
- The snack mix will be crispy, toasty and delicious after baking for an hour. You can either warm it up or allow it to cool down before serving.
*Season salt such as Lawry’s or another generic brand.