I don’t often make desserts, so I ensure they aren’t too sweet. This Lemon Blueberry Cornbread Skillet is a great example of a recipe that can double as breakfast. I used my Homemade Cornbread template as a base. Then, I added lemon zest and frozen blueberries to the batter and increased the sugar a little to make it more like a coffee cake. The result is delicious with coffee, and I have to say!!
This recipe also illustrates my Budget Avoiding Principle #2 – using expensive ingredients sparingly and combining them with cheap ingredients to keep the overall cost down. Although blueberries and lemons can be expensive, I kept the cost of this whole cake to less than 50 cents per slice. This is how it works!
FRESH BLUEBERRIES – CAN I USE THEM?
Yes, absolutely. Because they are cheaper than fresh, I used frozen. Fresh blueberries can be folded into the batter and not added to the top.
WHAT KIND OF SKILLET ARE YOU USING?
I’m using a Lodge 10″ Cast Iron Skillet (affiliate Link). This can also be baked in a 9×9-inch pie plate or square 9×9-inch cake pan if you don’t own a cast-iron skillet.
WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH MY LEMON BLUEBERRY CORNBREAD
Allow the cornbread to cool completely before storing it in an airtight container in the fridge for approximately four days. You can freeze each piece for up to three months by wrapping it tightly in plastic once it has cooled. You can either thaw the cornbread at room temperature or warm it briefly in the microwave before serving.
LEMON BLUEBERRY CORNBREAD SKILLET
This super easy Lemon Blueberry Cornbread Skillet is a great weekend treat. This is a great recipe for breakfast, lunch, and dessert!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup cornmeal (0.24)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour ($0.11)
- 1/3 cup sugar ($0.10)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder ($0.16)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1 fresh lemon ($0.43)
- 1 cup of milk ($0.32)
- 1 large egg ($0.25)
- 1/3 cup cooking oil ($0.16)
- 1 Tbsp butter ($0.18)
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries ($0.40)
- The oven should be preheated to 425oF.
- You will need approximately 1 teaspoon of lemon zest. Next, squeeze 1 Tbsp juice.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. To release flavorful oils, massage the dry mixture with your hands.
- Mix the oil, milk, egg, and 1 tbsp lemon juice in a separate bowl. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix until all the dry ingredients are well combined. You can leave some lumps.
- Remove the skillet from the oven. Use a brush to apply 1 Tbsp butter to the hot skillet.
- In a large skillet, heat the cornbread batter. Add the frozen blueberries to the top of the batter.
- Return the skillet to the oven. Bake the cornbread for 20-25 minutes or until the sides and top, are golden brown. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the cornbread will come out clean. Allow cooling slightly before cutting into 8 pieces.
The cornbread cake can be served with maple syrup.NUTRITION
Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories: 303.25 Kcal Carbohydrates: 38.8 G Protein: 6.23 G Fat: 14.05g Sodium: 381.45 mg Fiber: 3.76g